Unless you are lucky enough to head to warmer weather, you will need to winterize before temperatures drop to ensure that your RV is in good shape come spring. But how do you know which winterization kit is the best for you and your needs? Here, we’ll cover the best RV winterization kits on the market and how to choose which one is the best fit for your rig.
With the start of the winter season, sadly often comes the end of the camping season. Although it may not be your favorite task as an RV owner, it’s time to clean out and button up your rig for storage.
Lucky for you, there are some excellent RV winterization kits out there that make this job less of a hassle, including our top five picks below. Each one has something slightly different, from products to keep the interior smelling fresh to products specific to your electrical system. Keep reading to see which winterization kit is right for you and your RV.
Prep Your RV For Storage With These Winterization Kits
|Best RV Winterization Kits||Best For:|
|VIAIR RV Winterization Kit||Overall Value|
|Winterize RV Quick-Connect Plug||Affordable|
|Valterra Lead Free Pump Converter Kit||Pump Converter|
|Norcold Cold Weather Kit||Electrical Winterizing Kit|
|Camco Winter Readiness Kit||Complete Kit|
Here are our top five choices for RV winterization this season.
VIAIR RV Winterization Kit
If you aren’t lucky enough to head south for the winter in your RV, this is the winterization kit for you. This all-in-one kit is our best overall winterization kit on the list. It is simple to use, the parts are all universal, and it is durable and made to last.
This winterization kit regulates compressed air and removes any remaining water in your RV, protecting your RV’s water system from freezing during the cold months. We love it because there is no need for a separate adapter, everything is included for you to connect the air hose to the valve to the water connection.
Bonus, it got great customer reviews with several customers noting that this is the tool you should have in your tool kit when winterizing your RV. The only downside is the price tag, which is higher than the others on our list, but you get everything you need to get the winterization job done.
- This kit is to be used with Viair 400P-RV or 450P-RV models only.
- 1/4” Quick Connect Coupler And Stud (M, NPT)
- Protects your RV’s water system from freezing during the cold months
- Easy do-it-yourself use
- Helps prevent split pipes, ruptured tanks, and failed pumps
- Regulates compressed air and removes any remaining water from your RV
- Received great customer reviews
- Price tag is slightly high
Winterize RV Quick-Connect Plug
Sure, it’s affordable, but the Winterize RV Quick-Connect Plug is also environmentally-friendly as it does not use antifreeze.
Made from brass, it is also lead-free. Lead-free brass is harder, stronger, and more durable than regular leaded brass so this product can last a lifetime. And even though manufacturing this type of lead-free brass costs more to make, the company has decided to absorb the cost to keep their customers safe as an added bonus.
We also love this winterization kit because it not only works on recreational vehicles but also boats, watercraft, campers, water lines, and travel trailers. It can even work on your sprinkler systems, drip irrigation systems, soaker hoses, faucets, pipes, spigots, sillcocks, water garden hoses, water lines, and hose bibbs where applicable. It easily attaches to the city water line or a standard garden hose, making for quick set up.
- Blowout plug adapter fitting to winterize recreational vehicles (RV), motorhome, boat, watercraft,...
- Screws into RV's city water inlet or standard garden hose. Quick-connect attaches to air compressor....
- Environmentally-friendly because it does not use antifreeze plus it contains much less lead than its competitors
- Affordable price point
- Works on several other vehicles in addition to RVs
- Its short design allows it to fit into tight spaces easily
- Durable materials made to last a lifetime
- Some reviewers claim it is not compatible with all air compressor quick-connect commonly found in North America
Best Pump Converter
Valterra Lead-Free Pump Converter Kit
This lead-free pump connects inside the RV next to the water pump and automatically enables your water pump to winterize your lines. The price point is middle of the road compared to the others on our list, but it is simple to set up and easily converts your water pump into doing most of the work for you, which is why it’s our best pump converter on the list.
Small and compact, this winterization kit is easy to store in any toolbox and take with you. However, many users have complained that it can be difficult to set up because it attaches to the water pump, which in some recreational vehicles can be hard to get to and a bit tight.
In this kit the hose is plastic and the fitting is brass, so you need to be careful when attaching them. Some users have stated they wished both pieces were brass for the ease of connection.
- Product Type:Auto Accessory
- Item Package Dimension:3.555 cm L X 19.049 cm W X 21.589 cm H
- Lead-free making it safer for you
- Enables your water pump to winterize water lines automatically
- Easy install and works with the water pump in your RV
- If you have to add additional parts, it will cause some water flow restriction
- Can be a bit difficult to install at first
Best Electrical Winterizing Kit
Norcold Cold Weather Kit
Keep your RV refrigeration coils from freezing and bursting with the Norcold Cold Weather Kit, our pick for the best electrical winterizing kit. This cold weather kit allows you to use your refrigeration in your RV to hook it up and start winterizing your RV. This kit comes standard on select Norcold Gas Absorption RV refrigerators so check to see what you have before purchasing.
In some models you will need to move the refrigerator to hook this up, something to consider when choosing what kit is right for you.
But one of the biggest pluses with this kit is it can be used in temperatures as low as zero degrees, so it helps extend the length of your camping season from year-to-year or or supporting those that live full-time in their RVs or use it on a worksite.
The kit has 12V power, which hooks right into 12V on your fridge. It can also be retrofitted to Norcold 6-, 8-, 10-, 12- and 17-cu feet gas absorption models.
- package Dimensions: 4.572 cms (L) x 8.636 cms (W) x 23.622 cms (H)
- Package Quantity: 1
- Great for camping in low temperatures as cold as zero degrees
- A thermostat is included to keep track of the temperature
- It ties right into the electrical of the refrigerator
- You will need to access the back of the cooling unit, so the refrigerator may need to be pulled out for installation
Best Complete Kit
Camco Winter Readiness Kit
The best complete kit on our list is the Camco Winter Readiness Kit, which comes with everything you need for winterizing your RV. The kit includes a 20-liter bucket, fridge door stay, 32 oz. Premium Ban Frost 2000 antifreeze concentrates, hand pump kit, blow out plug, mini dehumidifier, refillable dehumidifier moisture absorber, and hanging dehumidifier. It also comes with a step-by-step guide on winterizing your RV, making each product easy to use.
All together, this kit aims to cut down on mildewy and other odors while your recreational vehicle is in storage. Plus, the hand pump kit makes adding antifreeze to your system easier and less messy.
You can also extend the life of your antifreeze concentrate by diluting it in the bucket. The amount you are able to get out of this kit will depend on what type of cold temperatures you are facing.
- Essential RV Winterizing Kit: 10 piece kit contains all the products you need to prepare your RV for...
- Winterize Your RV's Plumbing: The Premium Ban Frost 2000 antifreeze concentrate, blow out plug and...
- It includes everything you need to winterize your recreational vehicle
- Keeps your RV smelling fresher while in storage
- Easy to use and less messy than some others
- The dehumidifier is a block without power, so it is a one time use only
Recap: The Best RV Winterization Kits
- VIAIR RV Winterization Kit – Overall Value
- Winterize RV Quick-Connect Plug – Affordable
- Valterra Lead Free Pump Converter Kit – Pump Converter
- Norcold Cold Weather Kit – Electrical Winterizing Kit
- Camco Winter Readiness Kit – Complete Winterization Kit
What to Consider When Buying a Winterization Kit
Now that you know why to winterize, how to winterize, and what products to help you winterize your RV, you’ll need to consider a few questions before you make a purchase.
The first question you should ask yourself before purchasing an RV winterization kit is your budget, and what are you willing to spend? Also, what is included in the cost of the kit? Do you need to purchase any other parts or attachments to make it work for your needs? Other parts and attachments will add to your overall cost. The components included will also determine which kit is the right one for you.
By reading your owner’s manual for your RV, you can tell what you will need to winterize your vehicle. Some of the kits out there come with everything you will need from start to finish. In other cases, you’ll pick and choose what your rig and pipe or electrical setup requires.
The next thing to ask is this kit compatible with what you are using it for and your specific RV? Make sure you read up on what you need for your specific RV or needs before making a purchase. The last thing you want to do is buy a winterization kit that does not work for your motorhome, travel trailer, or fifth wheel.
Some kits have everything you need right out of the box and will help you winterize your RV from start to finish, some do not. Some are also easier to install than others. Before making a decision on which kit to go with, determine how much time and energy you can and are willing to spend winterizing your RV. It may be worth more money to get a complete kit if it saves you time in the end.
Ready for Winter?
Whether you’re hunkering down in your RV for the winter or storing it out in the elements, proper preparation is essential. With one of the best RV winterization kits available, you can rest easy all season. When spring comes, you’ll be glad you made the investment and the effort.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Does It Cost To Winterize An RV?
If you go to a dealer, they will winterize your RV for you for anywhere between $100-$300. However, you can winterize your RV yourself for much cheaper than that. Our article will give you the best complete kits to make sure that your RV is winterized appropriately and can handle the cold weather that you will most likely experience when you travel in the later months of the year.
Can You Winterize Without Antifreeze?
You can winterize your RV without antifreeze in a couple different ways. If you are not going to be spending a long time in the freezing weather you may not need antifreeze. Also, if where you are going only gets cold at night you might also not need antifreeze. One of the easiest ways to make sure that your pipes are clear without antifreeze is to blow them out with compressed air. This will ensure that any remaining water or waste is pushed through the pipes so that they can’t freeze over.
Will RV Holding Tanks Freeze?
This depends on where your holding tank is located. If it is right under the floor of your RV, the residual heat from the floor will help to slow down the freezing process when temperatures really dip. If it is located somewhere further away from the floor then it is likely to freeze and this can cause substantial damage to your RV because liquids expand when they freeze which could burst your holding tank.