An RV gives you the freedom to go where you want when you want. As any RV-owner knows, however, an RV requires regular upkeep. One of the most important steps you can take to protect your vehicle is to get the right antifreeze when winter comes. Antifreeze protects your vehicle’s plumbing, ensuring your health, safety, and comfort.
Not sure what antifreeze to get? This guide highlights some of our favorite picks. Just make sure to check your RV’s user manual to ensure compatibility with a product before use.
Protect Your Plumbing with These Antifreeze Options For Your RV
|Best RV Antifreeze||Best For:|
|Camco 36190 RV Winter Readiness Kit||Antifreeze Kit|
|Zerex 675130 Engine Coolant||Overall Quality|
|Splash Antifreeze Coolant||Most Affordable|
|BRP Pre-Mixed Antifreeze Coolant||Pre-Mixed Antifreeze|
|Star Brite Non-Toxic Anti-Freeze||Non-Toxic Antifreeze|
|Camco 30027 Boiler Antifreeze||Honorable Mention|
Reviews of the 6 Best RV Antifreeze Products
Alright, let’s jump into some specifics for our top picks and why we selected them.
Best Antifreeze Kit
Camco 36190 RV Winter Readiness Kit
If you’re like me, you love convenience. This ten-piece kit won me over with its practicality. It has everything you need to prepare your RV for sub-zero temperatures. The antifreeze concentrate, hand pump, and blow out plug are for winterizing your RV’s plumbing.
The concentrated antifreeze formula included (Premium Ban Frost 2000) contains 100% propylene glycol and is designed to inhibit corrosion, fouling, and algae growth. This product even protects up to -100° Fahrenheit.
The non-toxic formula is blended as a concentrate. If desired, however, you can dilute with water. Just make sure to consult the freezing protection charge on the bottle’s label to ensure you’re meeting your local climate needs. You can use this product for solar, boiler, and potable systems. It’s even compatible with boat engines.
You also get a dehumidifier, hanging dehumidifier, and refillable dehumidifier moisture absorber to keep the vehicle smelling fresh. If you plan to close up your RV for storage, you won’t return to find it smelling musty — further proof that the pros at Camco have thought of it all with this kit.
- Essential RV Winterizing Kit: 10 piece kit contains all the products you need to prepare your RV for...
- Winterize Your RV's Plumbing: The Premium Ban Frost 2000 antifreeze concentrate, blow out plug and...
- Everything you need to winterize in one easy-to-use kit
- A reputable manufacturer with a longstanding tradition of excellence
- Versatile use for solar, boiler, potable, and boat engines
- Can be used out of the bottle or diluted
- Protects up to -100 Fahrenheit
- If you only need antifreeze, this kit won’t be worth the investment
Best Overall Quality Antifreeze
Zerex 675130 Engine Coolant
Technically speaking, this Hybrid Organic Acid Technology formula is specifically designed to meet Asian car manufacturers’ requirements, including Lexus, Scion, and Toyota. Practically speaking, it has much broader uses.
Zerex 675130 Engine Coolant protects against freeze-ups and boilovers. The long-life formula is further designed to protect against rust and corrosion. It’s free of borate and silicate, minimizing the risk of damaging deposits in your pipes. A phosphate additive helps to protect the cooling system.
You can choose from both red and blue formulas to better match your vehicle’s requirements. Last but not least, if you’re worried about convenience — don’t stress. This is a premixed formula that uses demineralized water for added safety and user-friendliness.
- Formulated to replace the OEM fluid in Asian make vehicles such as Toyota , Lexus , Scion and others...
- 5 year/150, 000 mile . Silicate-free, long-life, phosphate Hybrid Organic Acid Technology chemistry
- Hybrid Organic Acid Technology with phosphate for added protection
- Free of silicate and borate to decrease the risk of harmful deposits
- Red and blue formulas available for different vehicle needs
- Premixed formula for easy use
- May not be compatible with all vehicle types
Best Bang for Your Buck (Most Affordable)
Splash Antifreeze Coolant
Sometimes you don’t need all the fancy fixings — you need a product that will get the job done. Let me introduce you to Splash Antifreeze Coolant. This product is affordable and effective. Additionally, you can use it for both your RV and marine vehicles, killing two birds with one stone and saving you even more money.
This product safeguards metal parts against corrosion so that you can use it even for heavy-duty engines. It also spares you the hassle of calculating dilution ratios because you can use it straight from the bottle.
The pink hue will allow you to see any leaks quickly. That said, the one major drawback of this product worth mentioning is the packaging. The vibrant cartoon-ish looking label and a bright pink bottle might be attractive to kids. Be sure to keep this one tucked out of sight of little ones!
- Auto & Truck Maintenance
- Country of manufacture: United States
- No dilution with water required
- Protects metal parts from corrosion
- Useful in both RVs and boats
- Saves you money
- The cartoon-like packaging might make the bottle appealing to kids
Best Pre-Mixed Antifreeze
BRP Pre-Mixed Antifreeze Coolant
This product is designed specifically for BRP vehicles. It offers a long-life five-year formula. According to the manufacturer, it’s the ideal replacement for cars that generally rely on a two-year antifreeze or coolant solution (green level). This orange-level product is intended to last five years.
Convenience is king with this BRP Pre-Mixed Antifreeze Coolant. The XPS antifreeze/coolant is already fully formulated for maximum user-friendliness. You don’t have to worry about measuring out your desired ratio. The anticorrosive additives safeguard against pitting and corrosion and will keep pipes clear and clean until spring. It’s compatible with all coolant system metals, even aluminum (which isn’t always the case).
One unique benefit of this product is the heavy-duty bottle. It comes with an easy-grip handle and pouring spout, making it safe and easy to use. Beyond that, this bottle stands out from the competition because of its black color and clear “DANGER POISON” label, including an intimidating skull-and-crossbones.
If you have curious kids at home, this can be a significant benefit. Many antifreeze products look appealing to children because of their bright colors, like pink and red. You don’t have to stress about temptation with this bottle.
- Ready-to-use pre-mix
- Long-life, 5-year formula specially formulated for BRP vehicles
- Premixed ready-to-use formula
- Superior heat transfer
- Long-lasting five-year solution
- The heavy-duty black bottle will deter interest from kids
- Specifically formulated for BRP vehicles
Best Non-Toxic Antifreeze
Star Brite Non-Toxic Anti-Freeze
This is a propylene glycol-based product with no ethylene glycol. It’s a trustworthy pick for keeping your RV safe throughout the winter months, providing burst protection for temperatures as low as -50° Fahrenheit. Freeze protection is delivered within a range of +12°F to +16°F.
Star Brite Non-Toxic Anti-Freeze is formulated with pure USP-grade (United States Pharmacopeia) ingredients. The USP is a nonprofit organization that sets standards for the safety and efficacy of products. The solution relies on a premium additive to prevent aluminum, brass, solder, and copper. It also won’t deteriorate rubber seals or hoses.
This product also wins points for versatility, being compatible with everything from boats to pools. It’s also practical, with no need to dilute it. Finally, the bright pink color will make any leaks quickly visible. The one drawback of this product is the potent odor.
- Made with non-toxic materials
- Provides corrosion resistance for copper, brass, solder, and aluminum
- Won’t damage rubber hoses or seals
- No dilution needed
- Versatile, safe for use with RVs, pools, and boats
- Some people may not like the strong odor
Camco 30027 Boiler Antifreeze
Sometimes, it’s best to keep it simple. If you like Camco products but don’t need the full antifreeze kit listed above, this is the solution. You can use this product for HydraHot and AquaHot Systems, as well as solar-powered systems.
Camco 30027 Boiler Antifreeze can be used right out of the bottle. It’s premixed and isn’t concentrated, so you don’t have to stress about dilution ratios. It also boasts corrosion-resistant properties. Keeping corrosion at bay is critical if you want to maintain a steady flow through your pipes.
Additionally, this solution is touted as being environmentally friendly. The solution contains a red dye so you can spot leaks quickly. Last but not least, Camco is one of the most trusted names in antifreeze products. You can be sure you’re getting a top-quality product.
Camco was first established in 1966 and remains an American company, with five U.S. manufacturing facilities. You’re getting a tried and trusted product made right in the USA.
- This product adds a great value
- Product is highly durable and very easy to use
- Compatible with both traditional boiler systems and solar-powered systems
- Provides corrosion protection
- No need to add water before using
- The vibrant red color lets you detect leaks fast
- This formula is only safe for systems with no aluminum parts
Recap: The Best RV Antifreeze
- Camco 36190 RV Winter Readiness Kit – Best Antifreeze Kit
- Zerex 675130 Engine Coolant – Best Overall Quality Antifreeze
- Splash Antifreeze Coolant – Best Bang for Your Buck (Most Affordable)
- BRP Pre-Mixed Antifreeze Coolant – Best Pre-Mixed Antifreeze
- Star Brite Non-Toxic Anti-Freeze – Best Non-Toxic Antifreeze
- Camco 30027 Boiler Antifreeze – Honorable Mention
Factors To Consider When Buying Antifreeze for Your RV
Compatibility with Your Motorhome
When selecting an RV antifreeze, the priority is compatibility. If you have a solar-powered system, for instance, you want to make sure that whatever you buy will work. Always do your research and read the label before purchasing.
Beyond this, you want to check the product’s temperature rating. In most locations, the usual -50° Fahrenheit rating is sufficient. If you live in more frigid climates, however, you may need something more substantial. There are -100° Fahrenheit antifreeze for those who call places like Alaska or the Canadian territories home.
You also want to consider RV antifreeze’s chemical composition. RV antifreeze is usually either ethanol or propylene glycol-based. The end effect is the same. The main difference between ethanol versus propylene glycol products is the price, with ethanol being cheaper on average.
Safety and Environmental Friendliness
There are also safety and environmental factors to consider. If you have kids or pets, for example, you may prioritize a non-toxic solution. For example, ethanol is highly flammable and generally more dangerous to handle.
In the end, there is no one “perfect” RV antifreeze. The best pick for your vehicle will depend on many factors, from the type of system you’re running to your geographical location — and, of course, your preferences. For some people, price is a priority. For others, safety is the number one concern. The great news is that there is an RV antifreeze on the market to suit every need.