We’ve all been there; you have a great day, get a ton of things done, and then you lay down to get a good night’s sleep. Unfortunately for many RVs, the bed is just not that comfortable, and you may not have the budget yet to buy a new mattress. Nothing ruins a good day faster than a restless night. An RV mattress topper is an easy, cost-effective way to make your bed more comfortable. In this guide, I’ll walk you through some of the best options out there so you can get a good night’s sleep.
Get Comfortable With These RV Mattress Toppers
|Best RV Mattress Toppers||Best For:|
|Best Price Mattress Memory Foam Topper||Memory Foam Topper|
|Zinus 4-inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Topper||Pressure Relief|
|Lucid Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper||Gel Topper|
|DreamFoam Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper||Affordable|
|Lucid Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper||Cooling|
|ViscoSoft 4-inch Pillow Top Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper||Pillow Top|
Reviews of the 6 Best RV Mattress Toppers
Alrighty, let’s dive into each of our top picks and why we like them.
Best Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Best Price Mattress Memory Foam Topper
The Best Price Mattress Foam Topper helps you revitalize your mattress with dual-layer memory foam and a high-density base foam. This combination helps give you the maximum support for joints, while still making the topper feel lush and soft. This mattress topper also isolates motion transfer, so you and your partner are less likely to wake each other up.
This mattress topper is made with two different styles of foam. That gives it the right balance between comfort and heat control. Memory foam can sleep hot, but the addition of the high-density base foam allows for better ventilation and more heat control.
The addition of green tea helps give a calming feeling to this mattress, which can be very useful to promote sleep. With the extra comfort and the soothing aroma, you will sleep better and wake up more refreshed.
- Layers of 1.5 inches memory foam and 2.5 inches high density base foam
- Isolates motion transfer between sleep partners
- Memory foam helps relieve pressure from sensitive spots
- High density foam helps with temperature control
- Mattress smells good with green tea infusion
- The dual-layer may be light on memory foam
- Concerns with durability
- After unpacking, you need to let it offgas for 24 hours
Best Mattress Topper for Pressure Relief
Zinus 4-Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Topper
The Zinus 4-Inch Green Tea mattress topper is a good mix of comfort and support. Designed to cushion the most sensitive areas of the body, this mattress topper will form to your body and help you get a great night’s sleep.
Green tea extract and charcoal infuse the mattress topper. The infusion helps keep the topper from absorbing moisture, kills bacteria, and smells great. The green tea aroma helps promote rest and will also help improve the overall smell of the RV. It is a fun feature that adds value and utility to the topper.
Remember to double-check the actual size parameters of your bed and the topper before ordering it, you want to make sure those two things match up. While we like this mattress, it does produce a somewhat unpleasant smell during “off-gassing.”
- REFRESHING SLEEP, BUILT RIGHT IN - If good sleep is your cup of tea, then you’ll love our recipe...
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS - This 4 inch layer features 1.5 inches of memory foam with natural additives...
- Smells great, which will keep the RV smelling fresh
- The charcoal helps control moisture
- Very firm which some look for in a mattress
- CertiPUR-US certified
- Doesn’t always fit properly
- Memory foam may sleep hot
Best Gel Mattress Topper
Lucid Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
The Lucid Ventilated Gel mattress topper is an excellent combination of memory foam and gel that gives you the best of both worlds. Though memory foam can be great for relieving joint pressure, it is well known for heating up sleepers. This increase in temperature can be appalling for people who get hot when sleeping. The addition of gel helps distribute the heat, allowing even hot sleepers to get a cooler sleep.
Every piece of this topper is designed to help with heat. The ventilation on this topper also helps with heat distribution. It makes sure that air is flowing through the mattress topper and the mattress below and taking the heat out with it. The ventilation doesn’t detract from the support of the memory foam, so you can experience the best of both materials. The extra ventilation holes in the mattress help make sure that you are getting the coolest sleep possible.
We wish that this mattress was a little thicker and if you’re a side sleeper, it might not be the best choice.
- 3 inches of ventilated gel memory foam adds softness and pressure-relieving comfort to your mattress...
- Special memory foam formula is extremely soft, airy and responsive
- Gel and memory foam work together for a temperature controlled joint support
- Extra ventilation helps keep this mattress cool while sleeping
- Thinner topper can fit into even tight locations on an RV
- Not great for side sleepers
- Can smell bad during unpacking
Most Affordable Mattress Topper
DreamFoam Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
The Dream Foam Gel Swirl combines memory foam and gel into one layer. This combination allows the cover to be thinner while still giving the sleeper the bonuses of both materials. Swirl techonology is a cost and space saving feature that helps maximize the effectiveness of both materials. The topper will provide sleepers with the extra comfort and pressure-relieving memory foam features and the cooling temperature control features of gel.
Because the layers are combined, the topper is thinner than some of the other options. This mattress gives a lot of versatility in a small package, which is especially useful in RVs where space can be an issue. Like other mattress toppers, a “chemical” smell may linger in your RV, so make sure to let it air out when you first unpack it.
- The 2” gel swirl memory foam topper is designed to enhance the comfort of your current mattress by...
- A unique gel swirl infusion draws heat out and away from the body to deliver a cooler night’s...
- Helps you sleep cool
- Offers support of memory foam, while still avoiding the heat with the gel
- Great value
- Lots of size options from twin to king
- The combination process has a very strong odor that stays with the mattress
- Not as supportive as some of our other top picks
Best Cooling Mattress Topper
Lucid Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Lucid makes an affordable mattress topper that uses ventilated memory foam to help deliver maximum comfort and functionality in a low price option. The cover may only be two inches deep, but it can pack quite a bit of comfort in that space with its memory foam. The memory foam helps take the pressure off vital areas for the sleeper.
This memory foam is made with open cell technology, which helps the memory foam conform each night to the sleeper, and then spring back each morning. You’ll be able to switch positions with ease and not be stuck in a memory foam hole.
The added ventilation helps allow the sleeper to stay cooler during the night. Even though memory foam tends to heat up, the ventilation helps mitigate this factor. Though there are better methods to do this like gel and high-density foam, this version gives the user a thinner mattress topper that still alleviates the problem. Though not ideal, it could be great if space is limited.
- 2-inch premium memory foam mattress topper
- Ventilated to increase air flow for a soothing sleep temperature
- Ventilation helps keep the mattress sleeping cool
- Special memory foam design helps this topper bounce back to normal after every use
- Memory foam can help with joint issues
- Ventilation isn’t always the best way to keep temperature regulated
- Holds some moisture, which can lead to mildew (make sure to use a mattress protector)
Best Pillow Top Mattress Topper
ViscoSoft 4-Inch Pillow Top Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
The ViscoSoft 4-inch is a dual-layer plush pillow top, and gel memory foam topper that is great for sleepers who need a little extra cushion and like a plush soft feel. You can experience the comfort and coziness of the pillow top, with the support and joint relief of memory foam, and the heat controlled sleep of gel. Getting this perfect combination of sleep factors will help ensure that you are well-rested after every sleep.
Using all three materials in the design, this product is excellent for people who sleep in any position. It will offer the right mix of comfort and support, no matter how you sleep on it. Its design eliminates motion transfer so you and your partner can rest at ease without disturbing each other with every move.
The topper also comes with a removable cover that can be machine washed. This feature helps increase the life of the topper by making it extremely easy to clean.
While we like many features of this topper and think it’s one of most comfortable ones available, the topper is likely to go a little flat over time and may not offer needed support.
- Transform your Sleep Until you’ve slept on the Serene 4” high density, pressure-relieving topper...
- Relieve Your Pain & Soreness Using thousands of testing hours and hundreds of reviews, we’ve...
- Extremely easy to clean and maintain
- Use of multiple materials gives this topper many useful features
- Motion control design allows for uninterrupted sleep
- Great for side sleepers
- Even with the gel, some complain about temperature control issues
- Durability is a concern from many users
- Not great for back or stomach sleepers
Recap: The Best RV Mattress Toppers
- Best Price Mattress Memory Foam Topper – Memory Foam Topper
- Zinus 4-inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Topper – Pressure Relief
- Lucid Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper – Gel Topper
- DreamFoam Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper – Affordable
- Lucid Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper – Cooling
- ViscoSoft 4-inch Pillow Top Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper – Pillow Top
Factors To Consider When Buying a Mattress Topper For Your Camper
There are many things that are helpful to think about when you are getting an RV mattress topper. First are foremost, you’re searching for a topper that is contouring and can help you relieve pressure points and sleep better at night.
That being said, looking at a few key features of the different mattress toppers can make your shopping a whole lot easier. Here are a few of the most important to remember to get a cover that helps you make your bed more comfortable.
RV mattress toppers are made of many different materials. Memory foam, gel, high-density foam, wool, cotton, and polyester are some of the more common materials, but there are even more. Each material has advantages and disadvantages that you should consider before making your purchase.
Sometimes the materials can be combined to help create a hybrid of features that works exceptionally well. Finding the right mix of materials will help you find a mattress topper that sleeps better for you.
You want to make sure you get a topper that will fit your mattress. If you get one too small, it will be hard to secure, and that can cause a restless night. If it is too large it might fold or bunch up and create uncomfortable lumps that defeat its purpose.
RV beds typically have pretty unique sizes compared to the king or queen mattress in a normal bedroom (often called “short queen” or “short king”), so make sure to check the specific dimensions of your mattress.
Standard mattress name conventions can have different sizes depending on the location of the manufacturer. It is best to measure your mattress and then make sure that the topper will fit. This extra step can help eliminate confusion about sizes.
For fit, you may also want to make sure that the topper attaches well to the mattress. Sometimes, the attachment processes can be hard or use a method that does not work for your mattress. This would detract from your enjoyment of the topper.
You want to get an RV mattress topper that is durable enough to last. Some extremely cheap toppers may seem like a good deal, but they can start falling apart after a few weeks of regular use. The durability can come down to features like material, but design and manufacturing can also be responsible. You will want to know if the mattress topper has been tested for heavy use, which will help you figure out if it should be used on a daily use mattress or a guest bed.
There are mattress toppers for almost every price range. You want to set your budget and then find one within that range. Quality doesn’t always mean more expensive, and by looking at materials, design, and features, you can often get specific benefits at many different prices. Many factors will change at the price points, but you should be able to find a topper that will suit your needs once you have decided how much you want to spend.
If you’re working on your bedroom area, make sure to read our other guides too:
Frequently Asked Questions
What Thickness Mattress Topper Should I Buy?
The thickness of your mattress topper depends on how comfortable your bed is and what kind of sleeper you are. Some people feel that a 2 inch mattress topper is perfectly comfortable for them. If you sleep on your side, you might want a thicker topper to help support you a little better.
How Can I Make My RV Bed More Comfortable?
Mattress toppers are a great affordable way to make your RV bed more comfortable without having to buy a whole new mattress. They are generally very well made, and add an amazing level of comfort to your mattress for their price. We highly recommend mattress toppers to anyone that sleeps in their RV for more than a couple nights per year!
How Do I Keep My Mattress Topper From Sliding?
The easiest way to keep your mattress topper from sliding is by using a tight fitted sheet. It is important to make sure that the sheet fits over the corners of your mattress. If your sheet doesn’t fit over the corners of your mattress, you should buy a deep fitting sheet to accommodate the extra height of the topper.