While hammocks aren’t an essential piece of RV camping gear, they are a welcomed addition. There’s an understated appeal to laying in the fresh air, gently swinging, without a care in the world, and getting in touch with nature.
However, despite what you may think, hammocks aren’t a one size fits all type of deal — every model has features that make it unique. The idea of camping in a hammock seems whimsical and romantic but, if done incorrectly from the start, it can turn a relaxing experience into a nightmare, believe me.
I’ve taken the guesswork out for you and created a list of my top picks. Below, you will see the best RV hammocks, and what you should look for when deciding to purchase the perfect addition to your next great adventure.
6 Hammocks to Improve RV Camping
|Best RV Hammock||Best For:|
|ENO Double Nest||Overall Value|
|Legit Camping Lightweight Portable Hammock||Most Durable|
|Wise Owl Outfitters Hammock||Compact Hammock|
|Vivere Double||Standing Hammock|
|Tentsile Tree Tents Tree Hammock||Tent and Hammock|
|Legit Camping Inflatable Lounger||Open Areas|
Our Hammock Reviews
Here are a bunch of details and our take on some of the best hammocks for camping on your next RV road trip.
ENO Double Nest
Available in over 40 colors, the ENO (Eagle’s Nest Outfitters) Double Nest Hammock is cost-effective and durable. The Double Nest — when adequately secured and set up — can hold up to 400 lbs.
Though it’s spacious, it “cocoons” easily, wherein it wraps up and folds around the person lounging in the hammock, which can be alarming if it’s unexpected.
However, some components are sold separately (rain gear, bug netting, etc.), so purchasing this hammock and prepping it for different circumstances can become pricey. On the other hand, its simplicity is perfect for those seeking a low maintenance hammock that provides a few hours of rest and relaxation throughout the day.
Its lightweight nature and minimal attachments and inclusions make it easy to pack up and carry into the woods for those seeking to find a little extra solace away from their RV camper.
- HAMMOCK FOR TWO: The DoubleNest is versatile, durable, and compact, making it perfect for camping,...
- ADVENTURE READY: Weighing only 19 ounces, the DoubleNest stuffs easily into attached storage bag....
- Lightweight, coming in at 19 oz.
- Comes with Aluminum Wiregate Carabiners, allowing for easy attachment anywhere from trees to walls
- Easy to set-up
- Attractive colors
- Suspension straps are sold separately when bought through Amazon
- No ENO warranty when purchased through Amazon
- Color fades within a few uses
- Wraparound edges limit the view
Legit Camping Lightweight Portable Hammock
Featuring a lightweight, spacious design and a capacity up to 500 lbs., Legit Camping’s Lightweight Portable Hammock includes a convenient packing bag to ensure compact, easy storage and transport. The portable hammock includes suspension straps, tree-friendly straps, and carabiner clips.
The hammock is designed with a military-grade 210T nylon fabric reinforced with 75D nylon taffeta and triple stitched to ensure comfort and durability. The included suspension strap can withstand up to 1,000 lbs. of pressure, as well.
However, the carabiners are relatively rough, which can lead to accidental rips, frayed ropes, and general wear and tear over time. It’s not designed to be left outside for long periods of time, so if you purchase Legit Camping’s hammock, make sure to bring it in and out of your RV with you to get the most use out of it.
Though suspension straps come with the product, Legit Camping offers straps that provide additional support, leading to concerns about the included straps’ longevity and reliability.
- QUALITY YOU CAN CRASH ON: With this Double Camping Hammock from Legit Camping, you’ll have...
- STUFF IT IN A SACK: This portable hammock redefines grab-n-go camping. No need to take along a bulky...
- All gear included with you purchase
- Lifetime warranty
- Full refund available if you’re unhappy with your purchase
- Dries quickly if left outside in the rain
- Color fades quickly
- Doesn’t withstand the elements
- Short straps
- Feels unstable when the wind picks up
Best Compact Hammock
Wise Owl Outfitters Hammock
Designed in the U.S. at a family-owned and -operated company, this hammock is made with high-quality, heavy-duty 210T parachute nylon to provide a soft material yet strong enough to hold up to 500 lbs.
Though it can only hold one adult, Wise Owls’ hammock comes with 9 ft straps and includes five separate loops to tailor hanging to each individual’s preference. Tree straps, carabiners, and an attached carry bag are included with the purchase.
Though it measures 9 ft. long, once taken into account the narrow hanging ends, it doesn’t seem suited to anyone over 6 ft. tall.
- Unlike Other Hammocks ours are made of high quality heavy duty 210T parachute nylon. This extra soft...
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - So you don’t have to wonder if you are risking your hard-earned...
- Triple interlocking stitching
- Lots of equipment included
- Reinforced high failure points
- Lifetime warranty and quality guarantee
- Fabric isn’t breathable
- Thin included straps
- Due to the small size of the packing bag, it can be difficult to get the hammock folded properly to fit
Best Standing Hammock
Perhaps one of the most appealing aspects of the Vivere double is the choice campers have in fabric — cotton, mesh, polyester, or sunbrella (the company’s patented, weather-resistant fabric).
This hammock comes with both a 9 ft. stand and carrying bag, eliminating the need to find the perfect set of trees just the right length apart. Since the Vivere Double fits two adults, it can’t be used for an individual. A solo lounger will find themselves wrapped up like a cocoon due to the excess fabric.
Additionally, the base seems to rust quickly, so you have to remember to bring it inside every night to ensure its longevity. The frame itself is narrower, so you won’t be able to swing too much in it or let yourself be rocked gently by the breeze. Finally, it sits very close to the ground when used with the stand it comes with, so an investment into a higher stand might be necessary depending upon your size.
- Vivere combo, the double hammock with stand and carry bag is our top choice for combos. The double...
- The hammock stand is constructed of heavy duty Steel and assembles in minutes without any tools.
- Adjustable height
- Pure polyester end strings to ensure durability
- Works with all types of campsites, even those with no trees
- Easy to assemble
- Care has to be adjusted to whichever fabric type is purchased — cotton must come inside after use, while it’s okay if sunbrella spends the night outside
- The stand’s powder-coating chips easily
- Not suitable for swinging
Best Tent and Hammock
Tentsile Tree Tents Tree Hammock
Arguably the most unique hammocks on our list, the Tentsile Tree Tent Tree Hammocks are divided into three sections: Lightweight, family, and heavy-duty to provide a two-in-one combo that allows for spending a night away from the RV while still being protected and shielded from extreme elements, such as rain.
There are many options to choose from, with tree tent sizes ranging from one person to six to accommodate families and friends. The tent/hammock combo takes the guesswork out of finding flat, level, dry ground by providing an elevated option.
Tentsile Tree Hammocks are ultimately an investment, and I wouldn’t recommend them if you aren’t an avid RV camper who goes out almost every weekend. Additionally, if you’re looking for a product that can get you outside for a short time, this isn’t it — the enclosed nature acts as a second home, eliminating the need for an RV camper.
- Unique camping option for 2: unparalleled overnight sleeping experience combining the best of tent,...
- New for generation 3, the Flite features abundant storage options with an internal mesh pouch and an...
- Three-point anchoring system
- Built with a tensioned base
- Bi-level tents available
- Average set-up time of 10 minutes
- It can be tricky to find the perfect section of trees to secure the three anchoring points evenly
- Can only be used in wooded areas
Best for Open Areas
Legit Camping Inflatable Lounger
Though it may look like a pool float that escaped, Legit Camping’s Inflatable Lounger takes most of the guesswork and planning out of your typical hammock set-up, including finding perfectly-spaced trees and figuring out the perfect height for hanging.
The waterproof hammock lounger includes two large, spacious pockets suitable for electronics or reading materials, a built-in headrest, an elastic strap to hold water or beer bottles, and comes with a beer opener. When not being used for camping, it can be brought to the beach or pool.
It’s a good deal that comes in at just 3 lbs. with a carrying case included, but it must be noted that it is an inflatable — if used in a heavily-wooded area, it runs the risk of being popped by rocks or branches. It doesn’t require a pump or blowing to inflate; rather, the air can be “scooped” in, which is a tricky technique to master.
- ✅AN AIR LOUNGER THAT’S ACTUALLY EASY TO INFLATE: Tired of running around like an idiot? If...
- ✅AND IT STAYS INFLATED: Love the idea of an inflatable sofa but hate the idea of constantly...
- Stays inflated for a long time
- Can be easily popped
- More of a novelty item than a functional piece
- Tough to inflate
- Retains internal moisture
Recap: The Best RV Hammocks
- ENO Double Nest – Overall Value
- Legit Camping Lightweight Portable Hammock – Most Durable
- Wise Owl Outfitters Hammock – Compact Hammock
- Vivere Double – Standing Hammock
- Tentsile Tree Tents Tree Hammock – Tent and Hammock
- Legit Camping Inflatable Lounger – Open Areas
Factors to Consider Before Choosing a Hammock For Your RV
While it may seem as easy as walking into a store and choosing the first hammock that catches your eye, the process of purchasing a hammock revolves more around research than impulse.
It would be best if you compared the products’ dimensions against your height and weight to ensure you’re getting a product that you’ll comfortably fit in. With this step, it’s essential to be honest with yourself. You should consider your height, and ensure that there’s additional length at each end, then compare your weight to both the hammock’s width and the maximum amount of pounds it supports.
While accessories may seem like more of a vanity purchase than a need, it’s essential to consider what accessories are included with purchase and see what sort of accessory compatibility your hammock of choice has.
Even the most diligent of planners can’t be 100 percent sure of what they need until they experience it firsthand. There’s nothing worse than finding out your dream hammock’s straps are too short, and the manufacturer doesn’t offer additional straps.
Strength and Weight
You’ll want to find something that’s compact and lightweight, as we all know that space is precious and limited in most RV campers. For quick trips or just a midafternoon nap, ease of assembly and dis-assembly can make or break a hammock.
You’ll also want to pick a hammock that fits how you want to use it: for long times outside you want to focus on durability and strength, whereas if you want to lay around for an hour or two, ease and comfort will be the most critical factors.
Finally, quality is the most crucial factor to consider when purchasing a hammock. It doesn’t matter how many bells and whistles a product has or how promising the reviews look — an uncomfortable product is an uncomfortable product, and everyone has different ideas of comfort. Materials and dimensions are two factors to consider in this, in addition to personal preference.
If you’re considering hitting the road to find some peace and quiet, don’t forget to bring your hammock along.
The ENO Double Nest comes in as my best RV hammock based on its durability, convenience, comfort, and size. Though this may be my top pick, something else on my list may suit your needs better.
No matter what you decide, if you pay attention to the features, size, convenience, and key factors that make a great hammock, you’re assured of having a product you can rely on and take with you wherever you may go.