Hey! This site is reader-supported and we earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from our site.
If you’ve spent a good deal of time in an RV—and if you’re an RVer, then you have—you know how important a reliable battery is. That’s why I’ve tested a few to see how they each stand up against the competition.
Designed for use in boats and RVs, the Optima 8016-103 Deep Cycle Battery promises to deliver exceptional performance and more recharges than a traditional battery. It takes a lot of power to keep an RV’s creature comforts up and running, so you want to invest in a reliable battery.
The Optima 8016-103 is a dual-purpose unit, meaning it works well for deep cycling and starting. Let’s take a closer look at some of the Optima 8016-103’s features, so you can better judge if this is the right battery for your RV.
- Durability: The battery comes in a touch case built with industrial-grade plastic. It’s acid-proof and shockproof, giving it maximum durability in its class.
- 15x Vibration resistance: The battery offers 15 times more vibration resistance than traditional batteries.
- Spiral Technology: Optima uses several cells that are spiral-wound and made up of two pure lead plates with a precise lead oxide coating to construct the Optima 8016-103, making it a strong and clean power source.
- Dual-purpose battery: You can use it for starting and deep cycling.
- Deep cycle: The 12v battery has high cranking power that vastly outperforms traditional batteries. It performs deep cycling just as well as discharging.
- More Recharges: You’ll get up to 3x more recharges from the Optima 8016-103 than a traditional battery.
- Maintenance Free: Once you’ve installed the Optima 8016-103 in your RV, that’s it. You won’t have to worry about maintenance or upkeep.
- Two-year Warranty: If anything goes wrong with the battery during your first two years of ownership, they will replace it for free.
What I Liked
The Optima 8016-103 excellent performance really stood out to me. RVs demand a lot of power to carry their heavy loads, and the Optima 8016-103 delivers. The 12-volt battery provides ample cranking power when fully charged. It is also maintenance-free, so you won’t have to exert any effort in maintaining it.
The battery comes encased in durable industrial-grade plastic. Based on its rugged design, I envision the battery lasting for a long time. You can mount the battery in almost any position, so it’s almost certain to fit in most RVs. The Optima 8016-103 is 15 times more vibration resistant than traditional batteries.
The vibration resistance allows the battery to withstand a lot without breaking down. Most RV owners are familiar with the frustration of batteries not holding a charge. I experienced no problems with the Optima 8016-103 holding a charge. It started my generator and kept my appliances running for several days.
I found the Optima 8016-103 worked better than the battery that came with my RV. The battery performed consistently and charged quickly. I like to charge batteries overnight, so they’re ready to go the next morning. The Optima 8016-103 didn’t let me down in this respect, lasting a good amount of time on an overnight charge.
The Optima Batteries 8016-103 Deep Cycle Battery is one of my top picks for the best RV deep cycle battery.
I have yet to find a perfect RV battery; although the Optima 8016-103 comes close, it’s not without problems. The Optima 8016-103 is a sturdy battery that’s made of solid materials, but you need to take care when charging it. Overcharging the battery will reduce its lifespan. The best protection against overcharging the battery is monitoring the battery level indicator.
Depending on your budget, you may find the Optima 8016-103 a bit expensive. It is more expensive than traditional batteries, but you’re paying for the additional features that come with the battery. Based on my experience, the battery’s performance more than makes up for the higher price.
The battery weighs in at 43.5, making it a bit heavy compared to other batteries.
Reviews From Other RVers
RVers generally report being pleased with the Optima 8016-103, saying the battery is long-lasting and has great cranking power. They liked the spiral cell design and praised it for being a clean power source. RVers were also happy with the battery’s 120-minute power reserve capacity, which ensured they had power when they needed it.
Finding negative reviews from RVers about the Optima 8016-103 proved to be more challenging than I expected. A few reviewers reported the battery’s performance decreased after six months of continuous use. Some commented that the battery loses its rechargeability after repeated charging and discharging.
- 12-Volt, 750 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10 inches x 6 7/8 inches x 7 13/16 inches tall, Weight: 43.5...
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather
- Mountable in virtually any position. Works well as a boat battery or RV battery
Last update on 2022-05-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A durable and long-lasting battery is essential to keeping your RV running. If you’re looking for a multi-purpose battery with excellent performance, the Optima 8016-103 may be the ideal battery for you. With the Optima 8016-103, you’re getting a starting and deep cycle battery in the same package.
The Optima 8016-103 is a low-maintenance battery that delivers consistent performance. The battery’s 120-reserve ensures you won’t be without power during a trek into the great outdoors. The battery charges relatively quickly using your RV’s alternator or solar charging system. Given the battery’s durability, it should last you for several years.