The best portable dog fences are durable, easy to assemble, and challenging for your dog to chew through. They can also survive through tough weather that might strike while you’re camping.
The tricky part, however, is finding these portable dog fences. How do you separate the good from the bad? That’s what we’re going to cover below. Read all about our top picks and what we liked about each one.
Keep Your Pup Safe with These Portable Fences
|Best RV Dog Fence||Best For:|
|North States MyPet Petyard Fencing||Plastic Portable Fence|
|Yaheetech Heavy Duty Foldable Fence||Durable|
|Petsfit Pop Up Dog Playpen||Small Dogs|
|BestPet Pet Playpen||Easiest Assembly|
|Paws & Pals Wire Pen Dog Fence||Metal Fence|
|IRIS Exercise Panel Pet Playpen||Most Versatile|
Our Reviews of Each Dog Fence
Below, you’ll find our reviews of the six best portable dog fence options to keep your pup safe while you camp.
Best Plastic Portable Fence
North States MyPet Petyard Fencing
If you’re going to camp somewhere with unpredictable weather, consider this durable fence. Users said it lasted for years through harsh conditions like heavy snow and storms. The mini door panel it comes with is great for small dogs to jump through. But if you need to accommodate a bigger dog, it is easy to switch with replacement doors.
Its plastic material also makes it lightweight. It’s simple enough to transport without hassle but not so light that your dog will knock it over. Keep in mind that agile puppies can jump over the 26” high panels, though. And the fence grid means some small dogs will use it to climb over.
What you can do is connect all the panels to be freestanding or disassemble them to use in different parts of your RV. However, it does take a lot of pressure to disconnect the panel joints. So, take your time so you don’t crack the plastic.
- WORRY-FREE SAFETY: Keep your pet contained and your home safe with the my pet 8-Panel Petyard...
- CONVENIENT LOCKING PET DOOR: This enclosure features a small swinging door, IDEAL to allow pets...
- Highly customizable (can join new panels)
- Durable through wind, snow, rain, and other weather
- Panels have pads so they won’t scratch your floor
- Won’t contain big dogs
- Some dogs use the panel grid to climb out
- Plastic can crack during assembling
Yaheetech Heavy Duty Foldable Fence
You can buy this fence for between 8 to 32 panels. So whether you want a small crate or a fence to wrap around your RV, you’re covered. It’s easy to assemble and tough enough to handle excited pets. Even if your dog rams into the side while playing, it’ll stay put.
One con of having a metal fence is that it can develop rust. That might be good for one camping trip, but not if you want to reuse it under your RV awning. To solve for more outdoor use, consider looking for an anti-rust paint that’s pet-safe.
On the other hand, the wire posts securing it to the ground could be thicker. Some reviewers used zip ties and stacks to help it stick to the floor.
Also, the door panel may be narrow for some large dog breeds, like Labradors. That means if your lab tries going through it, they might take the panel with them. Despite that, it can handle the roughest and rowdiest of pets.
- 🐶【Dog Playpens for the House Large dog】Dog playpen is constructed from sturdy heavy duty rust...
- 🐶【Outside Pet Enclosures】Rounded edges keep your pet safe; Panels with hinged door and 2 Pcs...
- Versatile panels to make a crate or lawn
- Durable through extreme weather
- Can contain big dogs
- Metal material makes it bulky and prone to rust
- Wires can scratch indoor floors or decking
- Joints may need reinforcement
Best For Small Dogs
Petsfit Pop Up Dog Playpen
This playpen doubles as a fence and comfort zone for small dogs. It’s also perfect for traveling because you can fold it into a carrying case. Unlike the other fences here, this one comes with a flexible roof and floor attached. You can unzip them to give your dog a view of the night sky or keep it on to protect them from rain.
We also noticed that it’s easy to clean. It comes with pockets to store pet accessories and a water bottle. You can thread the bottle end through the mesh ‘windows’ so your dog can drink whenever they need. When you’re packing up, it does take practice to learn how to fold it, though. And some anxious dogs chew through the zipper.
Still, the rest of the pieces are high quality, comfortable, and can stand through dogs playing inside of it. It might also calm down your dog, creating a protective nest for them to fall asleep outside.
- 🐶Spacious Space: 42"Dia x27"H, Folded Size: 21"L x18"W x2"thick. Door: 12"W x 20"H, suitable for...
- 😻Thoughtful Design: There are 8 panels mesh windows and 2 doors so that you pet and feed him...
- Foldable into a carrying case
- Removable floor and roof
- Comfortable enough for dogs to fall asleep
- Doesn’t include stakes to secure outdoors
- Heavy chewers can break zippers
- Hard to fold back up
BestPet Pet Playpen
This dog pen isn’t just easy to assemble but also suitable for uneven terrains. The joints between each panel let you adjust the height of each differently. The material is lightweight and takes about 10 minutes for a person to set up alone. So, if you’re making a solo trip with your dog in a hilly area, this might be a good option.
It’s just as easy to disassemble, so it’s perfect for traveling. It also has a height ideal for big dogs like a Doberman. They can usually still peak their head over the fence, but not jump over it.
We caution you to watch out for the wires in each joint, though. Some big dogs got their paws stuck in between them. Also, even though it’s sturdy, we think it could use zip ties and wire to help reinforce it into the outdoor ground. If you use this fence, stick by your dog’s side to ensure they stay safe while you camp.
- 【A LARGE SECURE AREA】Our puppy playpen is great and keeps your pets safe from others, plenty of...
- 【CHANGE THE SIZE WITHOUT ANY TOOLS】Our puppy playpen design allows for multiple shape...
- Stacks perfectly under an RV setup
- Adjustable height is useful for hilly areas
- Big enough to fit many dogs
- Wires at joints can hurt your dog if they’re alone
- Door panel gate is narrow
- Like all metal fences, it might get rust
Best Metal Fence
Paws & Pals Wire Pen Dog Fence
This fence has high quality, thick metal frames to make campers feel secure. That does make it heavier, but also hard for your dog to escape. Another feature that makes it perfect for the outdoors is that it includes thick hooked wires for securing it to the ground.
You can assemble the pieces into a zigzag shape to make a rock-solid, freestanding iron fence. Keep in mind, though, that it’s not foldable. We know the description says it is, but we noticed many reviewers saying it wouldn’t fold flat on its own. You have to remove the pins between panels first.
Regardless, if you’re going on an extended camping trip, this one can make you feel secure. We only suggest having a setup buddy to take some of the weight off your shoulders.
- PICK YOUR SET: Available in 24”, 32”, and 40” inches tall - All pen tube gates are...
- DURABLE DOGGY PENS: Constructed from sturdy rust-resistant coated metal for increased longevity and...
- Very sturdy – not flimsy at all
- Strong for both big and small dogs
- Attractive, high-quality metalwork
- Doesn’t let you fold it to move
- Dogs may get paws stuck at joints
- Heaviness makes it harder to carry
IRIS Exercise Panel Pet Playpen
This playpen is both durable and good looking. It’s a white, neutral color that won’t clash with your RV’s design. That’s especially important because you can disassemble its panels for indoor use. Put them all together for a circular playpen, or remove one to put a gate at your door. Both can be useful for camping by your RV.
Its thick plastic material makes it hard for heavy chewers to budge it. That material also makes it easy to transport.
Like all these fences, we should caution you of some things. The poles that join the panels have little caps on them. They come off quickly and can pose a choking hazard to your dog. Some small dogs also use the panel grid to climb out. Finally, children can’t lean into it, or it’ll collapse.
Those details make it the best fit for little dogs or puppies. Consider using zip ties instead of caps to secure joints and keep small children away from the pen to fix them.
- Safe, convenient enclosure for your pets
- Includes 8 interlocking panels made from commercial-grade plastic
- Great for persistent and heavy chewers
- Neutral white color makes it pleasing to the eye
- Easy to assemble
- Dogs can climb out
- May need zip ties to secure panels
- Tricky to fold
Recap: The Best RV Dog Fences
- North States MyPet Petyard Fencing – Plastic Portable Fence
- Yaheetech Heavy Duty Foldable Fence – Durable
- Petsfit Pop Up Dog Playpen – Small Dogs
- BestPet Pet Playpen – Easiest Assembly
- Paws & Pals Wire Pen Dog Fence – Metal Fence
- IRIS Exercise Panel Pet Playpen – Most Versatile
Factors to Consider When Buying an Portable Dog Fence For Your RV
We’ve covered some of the safest, most durable fences for camping with your dogs, but everyone’s needs are different. If you’re taking your dog on the road for the first time or don’t know which to buy, here are extra factors to help you make a decision.
You don’t want your dogs to hop over the fence. Still, there might be times where you need to exit to set up your fire or tent. Some of these fence doors are narrow but just big enough to let you through. If not, though, make sure you have a fence high enough to contain your dog but low enough for you to step through.
We know that metal gets rusty when it’s exposed to humidity. If you want a metal fence but want to prevent this, you might want an awning. An RV awning will keep rain from hitting both your fence and your dog. As a side bonus, it’ll keep you cool on those hot summer days when you’re camped out. If that’s not an option, look for pet-safe anti-rust waxes to apply at the joints.
Some of these fences are great for outside but damaging indoors. You don’t want metal wires scratching up shiny hardwood floors. The same thinking makes a difference to your RV decking. If your decking already has a hole pattern or grid, that might be perfect for securing fence wires. If not, though, you might prefer plastic over metal.
If your dog doesn’t like to be cooped up, they might try digging under the fence. That’s where playpens with zippable floors come in handy. If you have a big dog, a portable decking might solve this problem for you. If you don’t, you can put a long carpet or rug inside the fence to discourage your dog from digging.
A portable dog fence will keep your dog both safe and happy as a full-time RVer. It can also help you keep an eye on your dog from your tent outside. Your dog can even camp next to you, with a door panel to reach you at any time. If you need one, make sure to check out our top picks for RV dog ramps as well.
You can pair a fence with a dog ramp under your RV door. That lets your dog come in and out of the patio when they want. It’s extra useful if they’re going to take a water break and then relieve himself right after. Plus, it’ll stop your dog from wandering into other dogs on the campsite without supervision.
It’s good to reduce your dog’s anxiety in a new place. Before you get to your location, try to acclimate them slowly to the new fence. Especially with playpens, you want your dog to know what it is so they don’t feel cramped or surprised.
Remember, no fence is perfect. It’s best if you always keep an eye on your dog while you camp, so they don’t run into any trouble with their excitement. But with these picks, we think you can expect to have a great time with reliable fencing.