When it comes to sustaining the longevity of your vehicle’s battery life, you’ve likely wondered whether you should buy a new battery when your old one loses its charge. There is an alternative solution. Deep cycle battery chargers can help you save time and money in the long-run by recharging your old battery when need be.
It can be challenging for average consumers to scroll through endless listings of deep cycle battery chargers claiming they’re “the best.” So, to help alleviate your stress, I’ve come up with six chargers that provide the most versatility, durability, and efficiency.
Extend Your Battery Life With These Deep Cycle Battery Chargers
|Best Deep Cycle Battery Chargers||Best For:|
|NOCO Genius G15000 UltraSafe Battery Charger||Versatility|
|Black & Decker Fully Automatic Waterproof Charge||Durability|
|NOCO Genius GEN1||Value|
|Battery Tender Plus 021-0128||Efficiency|
|Black & Decker BM3B||Convenience|
|Schumacher SE-1-125 1.5A||Features|
Okay, let’s get into all the details for each of our top recommendations.
NOCO Genius G15000 UltraSafe Battery Charger
The NOCO Genius G15000 UltraSafe battery charger is one of the most versatile battery chargers. It works with all types of 12-volt and 24-volt lead-acid batteries, including wet, gel, marine, deep-cycle, and standard automotive batteries. It also includes an advanced repair mode that helps to increase performance and longevity on batteries that have gone extended periods without charge.
There are issues with finicky wiring. The charger does not work well on dead batteries or in colder weather. Overall, it’s a powerful charger for a range of battery types but may require additional attachments sold separately.
- A powerful, professional grade battery charger and battery maintenance tool designed to recharge all...
- Perfect for keeping your vehicles fully charged and maintained during year-round battery maintenance...
- One of the most versatile battery chargers on the market and works on all battery types
- Includes an advanced repair mode to help protect the longevity of your battery if your vehicle has been idle for extended periods
- It provides for a safe changing experience and offers reliability
- The battery charger includes optimized charging modes for different batteries
- The product provides overcharge protection to extend your battery’s life
- Finicky wiring could prevent a successful charge
- Does not work well in cold weather
- Some additional attachments may be required to complete a successful charge
Black & Decker Fully Automatic Waterproof Charge
The Black & Decker Fully Automatic Waterproof Charge is a 2-amp battery charger compatible with most battery types. It’s ideal for people who are outdoors often or who enjoy recreational trips to the beach or waterfront.
Due to its water resistance and dust-proof housing capabilities, this charger presents itself as one of the most durable battery chargers. The charger also comes with fully automatic frequency controls, which maximize performance when using extension cords.
This charger requires additional research, depending on the vehicle you aim to charge. One issue I found was that the charger is not compatible with all battery types. The site for Black & Decker is a bit misleading, and the customer support for the brand is not very responsive. However, it’s a durable charger if you own a typical automotive battery.
- 2 amp battery charger and maintainer is compatible with any AGM, GEL, or WET automotive or marine...
- Fully automatic high frequency charging; AC low-voltage compensation ensures maximum performance...
- The charger is compatible with most battery types—specifically common automotive batteries
- Ideal for outdoor recreational users who require water-resistant chargers
- Includes dust-proof housing which makes for safe storage
- Comes with fully automatic frequency controls to maximize performance
- Includes optimization usage for extension cords
- Does not work on all battery types
- Customer support and B&D product listing pages are misleading
- The charger does not have varying temperature controls for each setting
NOCO Genius GEN1
The NOCO Genius GEN1 is a 10-amp charger great for maintaining a 12-volt battery. The charger is set at a lower price than much of its competitors, offering the same capabilities. It is waterproof and can withstand submersion up to three meters.
Additionally, it comes with spark-proof technology and reverse polarity to provide protection when in use. The charger can charge nearly all types of lead-acid batteries, including deep-cycle, making it exceptionally versatile.
The downsides with this charger, however, are that it is not compatible with all battery types. Another recurring problem is that there is no temperature control in the charger, which causes it to overheat when in use. The charger is also prone to “sizzling” when above 14v and should be closely monitored when in use.
- A 10 amp (10 amp per bank) on-board battery charger for charging and maintaining one 12-volt...
- Safely charge all types of lead-Acid batteries from 25-230ah, including wet, gel, AGM, and...
- For its relatively low price, the charger comes with several useful settings
- It is waterproof and includes increased durability
- Comes with spark-proof technology and reverse polarity setting
- Capable of charging most battery types, including lead-acid batteries and deep-cycle
- It doesn’t require any additional accessories for set-up and use
- Not compatible with all battery types
- No temperature control and is prone to overheating
- Can omit a “sizzling” sound when above 14v
Battery Tender Plus 021-0128
The Tender Plus 021-0128 battery charger is one of the most efficient chargers. It operates quickly to give your battery a fast and efficient charge. It also includes an automatic float mode to help prevent overcharging your battery. Tender Plus 021-0128 is a 1.25 amp charger with 12v capability.
The display is simple and easy to read when used, and the charger comes with spark-proof technology. Additionally, it is compatible with most battery types and is optimal for long-term storage if need be.
Due to its simplicity, this charger tends to flash a red light as a warning when unnecessary. It is a simpler battery charger model, which means that there is no specific readout when an issue arises. Also, this charger is not everlasting. One or two years with it seems to work it to its end. It’s a quick and straightforward charger and is excellent for people who don’t need all of the more complicated units’ flashy settings.
- STAY CHARGED: This 1.25 AMP charger provides a full charge to your powersports battery before...
- EASY, FAST CHARGING: A low maintenance design to be quick and easy to use even in small storage...
- Operates quickly for a sufficient charge
- Includes an automatic float mode to prevent overcharging
- The display is simple to read with two lights, green and red
- Comes with spark-proof technology for safe usage
- Is optimal for long-term storage and users who don’t require regular charges
- Due to its simple style, it can be hard to interpret issues when they arise
- With regular usage, the charger may last only one or two years
- The red light will sometimes flash even when the charge is stable
Black & Decker BM3B
The Black & Decker BM3B battery charger ranges between 6-volt and 12-volt charge for AGM, GEL, and WET batteries. It includes a handy mounting bracket connected to the charger for safe and convenient placement while charging. It also comes with AC low voltage capabilities, making it work wonderfully with extension cords. It’s small size and ideal performance make it a convenient charger to use. One of the greatest aspects of this charger includes an automatic turn-off switch that activates when the battery is fully charged.
One issue with the Black & Decker BM3B charger is that if the voltage on your battery is below 6v, the charger may not recognize the battery is present and will respond with a flashing error light. It is also not an ideal product for all battery types. Though, it certainly delivers on its promise to successfully charge AGM, GEL, and WET batteries between 6v and 12v. It’s also important to note that it won’t charge dead batteries.
- Charges and maintains 12 volt and 6 volt AGM, GEL and WET batteries
- Easy connection to vehicle battery using battery clips and O-ring terminals
- Ideal for batteries between 6-volt and 12-volt charges
- Best used for AGM, GEL, and WET batteries
- It works efficiently with an extension cord, providing safety while in use
- Includes an automatic turn-off switch to protect battery life and prevent overcharging
- Consists of a mounting bracket for easy and secure placement when charging
- This charger only works for batteries between 6-volts and 12-volts.
- It is not compatible with all battery types
- The customer support at B&D is not very responsive
Schumacher SE-1-125 1.5A
The Schumacher SE-1-125 1.5A battery charger is ideal for motorcycles, power sport vehicles, and standard car batteries. It is a 1.5amp charger that can maintain a range of 6v and 12v. One of the best features for this charger is its ability to withstand cold temperatures and extended storage, making it a perfect charger for the average recreational owner. I liked the simple-to-use features this product has.
It is compatible with electrical wall outlets and is weather-proof. Other features include acidity and gasoline resistance, reverse polarity protection, float-mode monitoring, and an automatically adjustable amperage. It’s easily installed on cars, boats, tractors, and golf carts, making it highly versatile.
One of the most significant flaws with this charger is that its image and description did not align with the product when it came to the mounting bracket. The mounting bracket is not included with the product itself, which means you will have to buy one separately. Additionally, the charging leads are relatively short, making extension an issue. It’s a beautiful product with many features, but it doesn’t have everything.
- Specially designed for vehicles in storage and cold weather battery maintenance for motorcycle,...
- Microprocessor controlled to automatically adjust the amperage rate to charge and maintain
- Can withstand cold temperatures and harsh weather conditions
- Is optimized for extended storage
- Compatible with electrical wall outlets
- Reverse polarity protection and a float-mode monitoring system to prevent overcharge
- Is easily installed on cars, boats, tractors, golf carts, and other typical automobiles
- Does not include a mounting bracket as stated in the description and product image
- The charging leads are short and will require an extension cord
- It is not ideal for larger vehicles or batteries with a voltage higher than 12v
Recap: The Best RV Deep Cycle Battery Chargers
- NOCO Genius G15000 UltraSafe Battery Charger – Most Versatile
- Black & Decker Fully Automatic Waterproof Charge – Most Durable
- NOCO Genius GEN1 – Best Value
- Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 – Most Efficient
- Black & Decker BM3B – Most Convenient
- Schumacher SE-1-125 1.5A – Best Features
Buying a New Battery Charger: What to Look For
We’ve done our research to help you determine some of the most important factors to consider before you buy a deep cycle battery charger. Be sure to check out our recommendations for the best RV deep cycle batteries and best travel trailer batteries too.
The Voltage of Your Battery
One of the first things to consider is the voltage of your battery. The most common voltage maintenance included in battery chargers is anywhere between 6v and 12v. However, if your battery requires a voltage above 12v, you’ll have to know whether or not your charger can reach that level. You can also monitor your battery power levels with an RV battery monitor.
Type of Battery
The type of battery you have can also play a big part in selecting the right charger. Lead-acid batteries like WET, GEL, and AGM batteries are common batteries that most chargers can work with. Standard automotive, deep-cycle, marine batteries, and maintenance-free batteries require specialty chargers. Make sure you’re aware of your battery type before you make a purchase.
Will You Use Your Charger Regularly or Seasonally?
You must also be aware of how often you intend to use your battery charger. Some chargers are not suitable for long-term storage. If you require seasonal or irregular charges, battery chargers like the Schumacher SE-1-125 1.5A, the Tender Plus 021-0128, and the Black & Decker Fully Automatic Waterproof Charge are all optimized for extended periods of storage.
Mounting and Installation
If you require a mounting bracket or wish to install your charger in your vehicle for extended periods, it’s important to note that not all chargers come with mounting brackets. Additionally, some chargers are not meant to be mounted or installed in your vehicle for a prolonged time. Be aware of your charger’s capabilities when deciding on which works best for you.
Finding a deep cycle battery charger that suits your needs can be tricky. There are several factors to consider when looking around for a charger. You must be aware of your battery type and voltage, the frequency of use for your charger, and whether you will require specific installation accessories. Read product descriptions and inclusions thoroughly before buying so that you are aware of the charger’s capabilities.
If you’re having trouble charging your RV battery, check out our guide on what to do if you’re battery won’t charge.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Deep Cycle Batteries Need A Special Charger?
We recommend using a dedicated charger for your deep cycle battery. This is because deep cycle batteries are meant to be charged slowly and are not designed to handle the heat and output from a normal battery charger. This means that your battery may never reach full capacity and could possibly be damaged if used with a regular battery charger.
What Setting Do I Use To Charge A Deep Cycle Battery?
You should set your battery to trickle to avoid draining it while you are charging it. This will give you the best results while still being able to get some charge into your battery. It is important that you let your battery charge to full before disconnecting it and returning it to regular use so that you can always get the best results.
Can You Overcharge A Deep Cycle Battery?
It is possible to overcharge a deep cycle battery. Once the battery reaches full charge it will start to heat up if there is a constant flow of excess voltage. This will cause the water and the electrolytes in the battery to decompose at a more rapid rate and can dramatically shorten the life of your battery as well as not putting out full power.